WELCOME TO THE NEWTOWN SQUARE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Welcome to the Newtown Square Historical Society. Founded in 1981 by civic minded residents, the society continues its mission to preserve the rich history of Newtown Township. We offer multiple programs to reach out to our community, volunteer opportunities for residents of all ages and events throughout the year at our many historic locations. Please browse our website and vast pictorial history of our town and consider becoming a member.
The 1742 Square Tavern and the 1828 Paper Mill House open for tours Noon to 5pm on Saturdays. Tour Guides will be on site.
Art Classes at the Square Tavern "Exploring Patterns of the Masters" July 23, July 30, August 6, August 13. More info on Events Page or email@example.com
In 1981 several historically minded residents of Newtown (Delaware County, PA) decided to host a celebration for Newtown’s 300th anniversary. A year of activities and a wonderful parade were the impetus to the creation of the Newtown Square Historical Society in 1984. The main purposes of the Society are to protect, preserve and promote the historic resources of the Township, as well as to tell its story. We are an all volunteer, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization funded through member donations, fundraising and grants. All contributions to the Society are tax deductible, and go to support the work and programs of the Society.
The Founding of Newtown Township
Newtown Township dates to 1681, when William Penn planned two inland “new towns” (the second one is Newtown, Bucks County) in which buyers who bought plots of farm land would be entitled to a “Townstead” plot in the new town planned for the intersection of Newtown Street Road and Goshen Road. The original settlers were Welsh Quakers, drawn to the new world by relatively cheap land, Penn’s promise of religious tolerance, and the prospects of new beginnings. Newtown remained a farming community from that time until after World War II, when it began growing into a suburban bedroom community outside of Philadelphia, 15 miles due east.